Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Large Loads of Limes


I had to look back in my garden notes to see if it is normal to have limes in the summer, and it is definitely not. Our Key Limes are not supposed to come until November at the earliest. Usually I am giving away bags of them along with the lemons around the holidays. But here it is the middle of August, and ripe limes are falling off the tree by the dozen. Inexplicable.
This was just one day’s haul, a week ago.

The Piemaker used a favorite recipe from a couple of years ago, Key Lime Pound Cake.
As always Southern Living makes it look so simple yet elegant. The recipe is here.

Note: the recipe asks for butter and shortening – I have never used shortening and don’t intend to start now. We just use all butter. And of course we double the lime juice and zest simply because there is so much available.

Our version looks simple but not at all elegant.

It has a deliciously potent lime flavor and a surprisingly light texture (for pound cake).

I think this pound cake recipe could be easily adapted for other flavors, but for now we will gladly use it to contain the tide of lime juice.

6 comments:

  1. What a cute blog! Saw your comment at The Empty Nest Mom and decided to check you out. Looking forward to reading your stuff!
    http://oldmarriedlady.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness.key lime pound cake? Suddenly i'm so hungry! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts always make me so hungry. This cake look delicious, absolutely delicious! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes another gorgeous looking cake...yours looks just as elegant !Strange how everything all over the place seems to be getting out of sync with the seasons.I awoke this morning to thick fog so autumn must definitely be on its way...a sober thought that definitely could be alleviated by a slice of your cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mouthwatering!
    I love to hear about the "exotic" produce from your garden. We'll not be picking a single tomato this year I don't think. The blueberries have enjoyed all the wet at least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm! That looks great. I used to live in the South and took Southern Living magazine. I loved the recipes and have several of their annuals. Southerners really know how to cook!

    ReplyDelete