Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Lost and Found – Part 6

Did you think that you'd have to look at those poor wet dogs for the rest of the year? Yes, I shirked my blogging duties for quite a while.

I do have a few new things to share, but while I get organized, I will finish up my Lost and Found Series.

I have a weakness for old books – have you noticed? Children’s books and picture books are especially hard to resist.


Here are two books that I recently found. One is a grade school songbook, quite the worse for wear.
Published in 1947, it clearly belonged to Elizabeth and was very well-loved.

end papers
 
The best thing is that each song has little drawings with it.
 
[You can try click-to-enlarge, but I don't know if it will work. Picasa is being a pain right now.]
 


 

Today's other treasure is a 1952 edition of the Girl Scout Guide.
 
I love the illustrations that accompany the enthusiastic instructions for being a healthy person and a contributing member of society.
Pristine uniforms
No TV or computer!

So many ways to serve the community
Year-round activities
 
 
There’s not much in common between the two books, except for a certain charm and wholesomeness in the illustrations. This was still a pre-television generation - only 9% of U.S. households had them in 1950 (www. tvhistory.tv).
 
I wonder what a modern-day kid would do if faced with the entertainment choices from the 1940s or 50s?!
 
 
 

 
Katrina

2 comments:

  1. What treasures! I love, absolutely love, the illustrations from the senior girl scout book - the seasonal activities with the compass? Fantastically fun!

    ReplyDelete