Pages

Monday, December 26, 2011

Return of the Caftan

Thank you all for your patience with my trials and tribulations of the past weeks. I appreciated your comments, and reading your blogs kept me inspired and amused!

I managed to finish a couple of easy caftans. Both are a simple rectangular shape where the shoulders extend and the side seams float far away from the body, creating a type of sleeve.
I used Simplicity 8354 from 1969, and this lovely African fabric with giraffes. It’s a bit literal (caftan with African fabric?), but what else am I going to make with giraffe fabric?

And yes, I call it the Girafftan.The satin belt is not part of the original pattern but the huge bat wings threatened to knock glassware off the shelves when I reached for anything, so I thought a kimono-style tied waist would help rein things in.
I had the exact amount of this beautiful trim necessary to go around the neckline and hem.

The next one was McCalls 3255 from 1972, which is recommended for knits – I don’t know why, as there is no need for it to stretch!
I used this pretty burnout rayon jersey.
Very soft, drapey, and comfortable, and it will be perfect for hot weather.
I love this rustic-looking hemp trim. It really adds to the early-70’s feeling.

I made a large dent in the stash, and I'm quite pleased with both of them!

Next up in caftans: I have two on the table that are slightly more structured, with sleeves and collars.

What's everyone else sewing? Lots of coats?

Katrina

4 comments:

  1. I do not sew, but I love looking at your work...these are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely details on both.
    I've got 3 unfinished dresses at the moment. No prizes for guessing what my New Year Resolution will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are fab - and the trims are so perfect. Yay for you, for being so creative and accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed this when you posted; love them! Really, really love them!
    xo, Anita

    ReplyDelete