Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Important Pie News

Over the weekend I fell further behind in my many projects, and I had just about decided to skip blogging today in favor of finishing some of them. Then I received an urgent call, late last night, informing me of an issue that is not only critical, but time-sensitive. This information, the informers informed me, must be disseminated immediately!!!

And so I hereby announce that today, January 23, is National Pie Day!

National Pie Day is well-established (either 2 years old or 37 years old, depending on source), and widely popular. There are recipe contests online, pie fairs in some cities, and your local bakery might even offer discounts.


Pumpkin Pecan Surprise Pie, a winner at the 2011 National Pie Championships

Wikipedia exhorts us not to confuse National Pie Day with National Pi Day, which is March 14. Apparently pi enthusiasts like to celebrate their day with pie, and in the past this has caused some disagreeable confrontations with pie purists.

Our household is still experiencing a surplus of cake, and therefore we will not have any actual pie on National Pie Day. I do have my sights set on another new pie recipe though, so we might see that in coming weeks.

Happy National Pie Day to all!

Katrina

2 comments:

  1. I know the fallen behind feeling! I am so far behind that I can't even think about it or my head will explode.

    Yesterday was my mother's birthday; I think that she would like that it is National Pie Day as well. Perhaps I will turn her favorite ice cream flavor into a pie in her honor. [Does the pie maker have recipei for something mint chocolate chip flavored?}

    xo, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita - how nice that your mother's birthday is a national holiday - with pies!
    Piemaker doesn't have anything with mint chocolate chip yet, but now that you've brought it up, it sounds like a VERY good idea!

    ReplyDelete