Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

More Pie, Please

To wrap up the month of January, let’s have pie!

Some considerate gardener planted citrus trees on our property decades ago, and we benefit every year with a huge crop of lemons, limes, and tiny oranges which are probably mandarins or tangerines. To enjoy this abundance, I’m always on the lookout for orange-flavored pies, and they seem to be hard to find. Once I even tried making one by substituting orange rind and juice into a Key Lime Pie recipe, but the result was very bland.

So when I saw that the February issue of Southern Living had a Tangerine Chess Pie (photo above), my squealing and jumping around the house was enough to convince the Piemaker of what he had to do.

It’s very simple! (Recipe here) You mix up only 8 ingredients to make the custard-style filling and put it into a ready-made pie crust. We were confused by the recipe in that it says to roll two piecrusts together to make one, but the package weight indicated in the recipe is the weight of one crust. I don't know what they meant, but it worked out fine with a single crust.

Here is our baked pie. I admit I'm not a food stylist, and all my pie photos are starting to look the same. But wow, is it good! Essence of tangerine with pie goodness! The Piemaker added even more flavor by doubling the amount of zest called for in the recipe.

A delicious slice of tangerine pie! It's sweet, but not too heavy, and the vivid tangerine flavor is just what I was hoping for. This is definitely a new favorite.
Katrina

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Citrus from your own garden - sounds like paradise. We would need a heated greenhouse to grow such exotics.
    Great looking pie too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have fruit trees on your property! How wonderful to have an annual harvest that you can put to use; so very green!

    Our family in Florida has both citrus and avocados, and I think that there is nothing quite like picking something off a tree one minute, and eating it the next.

    I think that your pie photography looks great! I find it hard to get the colors just right in the kitchen for some reason. I bet it would make a nice shot if you put a few epieces of the unpeeled fruit around the dish, also.

    xo, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Snippa and Anita, for your comments. I do feel extremely fortunate to have all this beautiful fruit. I'm trying to coax a baby grapefruit tree through its first year, and it takes a lot of attention. So I know someone put a lot of love into these trees.
    Anita, that idea for the photo is so great I feel like retaking the pictures with the tangerines right now! If only we had some pie left, hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita and Kutchie Pelaez bake about the best key lime pies that we have ever eaten. They are a very hard working married working team. They have been working hand in hand together making those wonderful key lime pies for more than 30 years. Try some today.

    Kasandra

    ReplyDelete