Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Cute Kitschy Cactus Skirt

I took a break from trousers to stitch up a skirt. When I first saw this fabric several months ago I loved it so I much thought I would have to run out and buy a bunch at full price. It’s a bit of 1960s kitchen combined with a dash of 1970s color, and to top it off, these surreal cacti.
Fortunately I waited, and the price eventually dropped to $3.99/yard. They still have a lot left here, but the price is back to $9 now.

I like this skirt pattern (M5431), which reminds me of the patch-pocket skirts we made in high school home ec class, and it seemed like a fun match for the fabric. I didn’t think about the one-way print when I ordered the fabric, so I didn’t have enough to make the full diameter of the skirt which is slightly more than a half-circle. I ended up just cutting the pieces as far as I could between the two selvedges, and using the contrasting lower band to add a bit more width.

Unable to leave well enough alone, I added a bit of orange trim to up the retro factor even more. I love the fit, the pockets, and the amazing fabric.


Now, back to the pant pattern project!


Katrina

4 comments:

  1. Great fun.
    That's my kind of flowery print! Plants with prickles have attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! You really gave it a retro feel with that orange trim on the pockets. Love! I'm tempted to buy the fabric, but now that I know it was $3.99 at one time, I just can't bring myself to pay $9.00 for it. I have a pattern for a great 1970's apron dress that it would be perfect for, so I'll have to keep my eye on it. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This skirt is gorgeous ...I love the fabric so much.I like the orange trim on the pockets as I would probably have gone for a pink.Adding the green hem band was inspirational too.
    Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That really pops!

    ReplyDelete