Today the Piemaker will be in the kitchen all day, banging pans around and splashing and stirring and slicing. I will stay out of the way!
Yesterday I got a head start on the preparations by making the only thing that I personally am in charge of: the cranberry sauce. We have let go of whatever emotional ties we may have had to the traditional canned cranberries and jelly and are ready to branch out a bit. I love the cranberry-orange relish that my aunt used to make, but I decided to put a spicy twist on it with this recipe.
Ingredients· 1 – 12-ounce package fresh cranberries
· ½ cup sugar
· 1 large orange
· 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
· 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped crystallized ginger
· ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Pulse cranberries in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in sugar.2. Zest the orange and stir zest into cranberry mixture.
3. Remove the remaining peel and pith and chop the orange into chunks.
4. Pulse the orange, jalapenos, ginger, and cilantro in food processor 3 to 5 times or until orange, ginger, and pepper are finely chopped. Stir into cranberries; cover and chill 2 to 24 hours.
This is adapted from a Southern Living recipe that you can find here.
Yes, it is spicy, and delicious!
I hope you all enjoy a delightful meal wherever you are.