Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Having Cake and Eating It

I went here for a few days:

Chicago - Brrr

It was chilly, but it was certainly pleasant to (briefly) experience actual winter scenes with snow rather than our Arizona quasi-winter with slightly less warm temperatures (although we did have that rare snowfall in February!)

We celebrated my brother’s birthday with some good meals and a delicious chocolate-raspberry cake. I got to spend time with my niece, who gave me a tour of the neighborhood, made special meringue cookies, and kept me entertained for the weekend.

 

Back in Phoenix, the Piemaker was not to be outdone by birthday cake, and he welcomed me home with this masterpiece.

Strawberries & Cream Cake


Wow! It’s really strawberry! And really good! The layers of filling start out separate, but over several days they soak into the cake layers until the inside of the cake is more red than white.

The recipe is from the April issue of Southern Living. I recommend it!


Cake, cookies, more cake. I know there are Easter eggs around here too. Did someone mention exercise?

Katrina

 

2 comments:

  1. I would sooner be in Arizona i think personally I have had enough of snow and the cold...4th coldest March for a 100 years I am informed.
    I covet your in-house piemaker too!
    Enjoy your Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That strawberry and cream cake looks divine! I'm going looking for the April issue of Southern Living at the library! Exercise? Okay. Okay.

    ReplyDelete