Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

The Cobbler’s Children Go Unshod

Doctors make terrible patients and carpenters never fix their own homes. These are ridiculous generalizations that I personally know to be untrue, but I’m bringing them up in the hope of explaining why I, as a CPA with years of experience, postpone the chore of tax preparation until April. When I finally sit down to do what should be a straightforward task, I thrash through it, screaming and crying as though it were a medieval torture.
 
the original Form 1040, from 1913


Anyway, for the past week, I’ve been sitting at my desk, working on taxes.

Ha, ha. Just kidding. For the past week, while I wallowed in self-pity and pretended to do tax stuff, I was actually finishing the jeans I started in February.
 

I also spent hours looking out the window at the spent winter vegetables that need to be composted, poking around on Pinterest, reading (Little Heathens by Mildred Armstrong Kalish), and doing pretty much anything other than taxes.

 
I hope you were all clever enough to get your taxes done early and/or by someone else.

Katrina

3 comments:

  1. I love the expanse you have of right brain/left brain competence - to be able to sew like you do, and do taxes - how impressive! I quilt and write and photograph - but my taxes go to an accountant - the whole math thing. I figure I'm keeping up a few math skills by quilting - it IS a lot of angles and 1/4 inch and piecing and measuring - and if you don't get it right - it's a mess.
    And by the way, your theory is true. My mother was a nurse and said before she married my father and had lived with other nursing students - they were some of the dirtiest housekeepers she'd ever seen. Go figure - when you work in sterile, clean hospitals. ha-ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So once again there is a grain of truth in the old cliches, however bad they sound. Maybe people *should* balk at doing the same job at home as in the workplace, what with burnout and all that. Interesting.

      Delete
  2. So glad I dont have to do that!...lovely blog, please if you get a chance get a look at mine! xx

    ReplyDelete